Permits, Routing & Escorts
Detroit Michigan Oversize Permits & Escort Information
WE ARE NOT A PERMIT SERVICE NOR DO WE ARRANGE PERMITS FOR CARRIERS. THIS IS STRICTLY JUST FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES. WE DO NOT ENSURE THE ACCURACY OF THE BELOW INFORMATION SO BE SURE TO READ YOUR PERMIT SHEETS CAREFULLY!
Note: For state regulations, see Michigan OD Regulations
Special permit required for operation of oversize or overweight vehicles on any highways or streets in the City
At its discretion the Police Department may issue a special permit, which authorizes the applicant to operate upon, or remove from a highway or street in the City a vehicle or combination of vehicles that are:
Of a size, weight, or load exceeding the maximum specified in this article according to the following classifications:
- Class “A”: Not over 15 tons gross, single axle weight, but over 65 feet overall in length, or over 96 overall in width or over 13 feet 6 inches overall in height, or projecting over three feet in front or over four feet in rear. Before a special permit shall be issued, the applicant shall obtain and deliver to the Buildings, Safety Engineering and Environmental Department a surety bond in the sum of $1,500.00, which is approved by the Corporation Counsel, in order to indemnify or reimburse the City of Detroit for damage that arises out of the use of City highways or streets; or
- Class “B”: Over 15 tons gross, single axle weight, over 80 feet overall in length, or over 12 feet overall in width or over 15 feet overall in height, or projecting over 5 feet in front or over 20 feet in rear. Before a special permit shall be issued, the applicant shall obtain and deliver to the Buildings, Safety Engineering and Environmental Department a surety bond in the sum of $1,500.00, which is approved by the Corporation Counsel, in order to indemnify or reimburse the City of Detroit for damage that arises out of the use of City highways or streets. A vehicle, which carries Class “B” loads: (1) Is the subject to an annual inspection by the Department of Public Work to demonstrate the vehicle’s ability to carry such loads. In accordance with Section 9-507 of the Carter, the Director of the Department of Public Works shall establish an inspection fee, which shall be approved by City Council through adoption of a resolution; and (2) shall travel at the time of day and over the specified street route designated in the permit and be accompanied by an inspector from the Department of Public Works.
The application for special permit shall be on a form provided by the City of Detroit Police Department and specifically describe the vehicle or vehicles and load to be operated or moved and the particular route over which the subject vehicle or vehicles will travel.
The Police Department may also issue such special permits upon payment of a fee that authorizes the operation of the following:
- Traction engines or tractors having movable track with transverse corrugations upon the periphery of those movable tracks on farm tractors;
- Other farm machinery otherwise prohibited under this article; or
- A vehicle of a size or weight otherwise prohibited under this article that is hauling farm machinery to or from a farm;
- Any permit issued under this section shall specify the trip or trips and date or dates, including the time of day or night traveled, for which it is to be valid, and, when necessary, the Police Department may restrict or proscribe conditions of operation of such vehicle or vehicles to protect public safety or to ensure against undue damage to the road foundations, surfaces, structure or installations and require a reasonable inspection fee and such other security as may be deemed necessary to compensate for any damages caused by such movement. a special permit may be issued on an annual basis;
- Except as otherwise provided in this section, the fee for a single trip shall be $50.00 and for multiple trip or an annual basis, shall $100.00;
- A special permit for any vehicle or combination of vehicles of a size exceeding the maximum specified in this article, but not exceeding the normal loading maximum specified in this article, or are otherwise not in conformity with this article shall be $15.00 for a single trip and $30.00 for multiple trips or on an annual basis;
- After issuance, every special permit shall be carried in the respective vehicle, or combination of vehicles, and shall be available for inspection by any police officer or authorized agent;
- Any special permit to move a mobile home under this section and a person who is issued a special permit to move a mobile home under this section are subject to Section 719a of the Michigan Vehicle Code, being MCL 257.719a, which is incorporated by reference into Article III of this Chapter.
For further information see the City of Detroit Municipal Code https://library.municode.com/detroit/code_of_ordinances?nodeld=PTIHORUCH_ART9MIPR_CH5SPPO_S9-507SEFE
Below is a list of the cities and where to find their updated permits
The following pages provide links to the city's general guidelines for oversize permits and escorts for over dimensional/heavy haul shipping. City regulations are subject to change. If you find something incorrect let us know and we will verify and update the page accordingly.
Click on the cities below for links to the city's guidelines for permitting oversize loads and escorts for over dimensional / heavy haul shipping. These regulations are subject to change for each state. If something doesn't look correct, give us a shout and let us know so we can property update the page.