Newport News Virginia Oversize Permits & Escort Information
WE ARE NOT A PERMIT SERVICE NOR DO WE ARRANGE PERMITS FOR CARRIERS. THIS IS STRICTLY JUST FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES. WE DO NOT ENSURE THE ACCURACY OF THE BELOW INFORMATION SO BE SURE TO READ YOUR PERMIT SHEETS CAREFULLY!
Note: For state regulations, see Virginia OD Regulations
Weight and Dimension Restrictions
If the dimensions of the vehicle combination or non-divisible load, or both, exceed one or more of the following statutory limitations listed below, a permit is required.
- Gross Weight – 80,000 pounds (no matter the number of axles o axle groups provided);
- Single Axle – 20,000 pounds or 650 pounds per inch of tire width in contact with the surface of the highway;
- Tandem Axle – 34,000 pounds
- Width – 8 feet 6 inches excluding mirrors (safety devices not to exceed 3 inches on each side);
- Height – 13 feet 6 inches;
- Length – Single Unit Vehicle: 40 feet excluding load overhang; Combination of a Towing Vehicle and any Trailer Type: 53 feet provided the spacing between the kingpin of the trailer and rearmost axle or a point midway between the rear tandem axles does not exceed 41′.
- Twin Trailers – over dimensional twin trailers will not be permitted;
- Front Overhang: Exceeding 3 feet from front axle;
- Rear Overhang: Exceeding 4 feet from rear axle.
For Overdimensional Policy brochure and Overdimensional Permit Application Form see https://www.nngov.com/950/Permits-Applications