Permits, Routing & Escorts
Portland Oregon Oversize Permits & Escort Information
WE ARE NOT A PERMIT SERVICE NOR DO WE ARRANGE PERMITS FOR CARRIERS. THIS IS STRICTLY JUST FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES. WE DO NOT ENSURE THE ACCURACY OF THE BELOW INFORMATION SO BE SURE TO READ YOUR PERMIT SHEETS CAREFULLY!
Note: For state regulations, see Oregon OD Regulations
Weight and Dimension Restrictions
As authorized by Code Section 16.70.600, Over-Dimensional Vehicles, the City Traffic Engineer may grant permits for the operation of over-dimensional vehicles on City streets.
The limits in the City of Portland are:
- Height – 14 feet;
- Length – 50 feet for single units, and 65 feet for combinations;
- Width – 8 feet 6 inches;
- Weight – 80,000 pounds gross.
Over Following Route
The City does not “scout” routes, but does recommend using State routes whenever possible.
- NE Marine Drive. No triple trailer combination under any circumstances.
- No house moves greater than 12 feet wide unless on a trailer. Dates and times of house move routes must be approved by Street Systems Management.
- A rider must accompany a load over 14’6″ unless a device of more than 3 feet in height is mounted above the load to prevent shagging traffic signals, utility wires, etc.
- All permits are issued for daylight hours, except 7-9 a.m. and 3-6 p.m. unless otherwise approved by City staff.
- Night permits may be approved, at the City’s discretion, for overlength and overweight dimensions, but not for overwidth dimensions.
- Signal Electrician. Must approve high loads (generally over 15’6″);
- Structures. Must approve loads over 80,000 pounds gross weight. An axle-loading diagrams is required from the permittee if the proposed route includes City structures;
- Traffic Investigations Staff. Initials for completed insurance. City Attorney’s Office. Verifies the insurance and stamps it when it is approved as to form.
The City notify TriMet that a Track Access Permit is needed when dimensions are higher than 18 feet. The City’s Overdimensional Permit will state “Not valid without accompanying permit.”
The City of Portland overdimensional permits https://www.portlandoregon.gov/citycode/article/59240
Below is a list of the cities and where to find their updated permits
The following pages provide links to the city's general guidelines for oversize permits and escorts for over dimensional/heavy haul shipping. City regulations are subject to change. If you find something incorrect let us know and we will verify and update the page accordingly.
Click on the cities below for links to the city's guidelines for permitting oversize loads and escorts for over dimensional / heavy haul shipping. These regulations are subject to change for each state. If something doesn't look correct, give us a shout and let us know so we can property update the page.