San Francisco California Oversize Permits & Escort Information
WE ARE NOT A PERMIT SERVICE NOR DO WE ARRANGE PERMITS FOR CARRIERS. THIS IS STRICTLY JUST FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES. WE DO NOT ENSURE THE ACCURACY OF THE BELOW INFORMATION SO BE SURE TO READ YOUR PERMIT SHEETS CAREFULLY!
Note: For state regulations, see California OD Regulations
Weight and Dimensions Restrictions
An “extralegal” vehicle is a vehicle whose overall dimensions and/or weight exceed those set forth in Division 15 of the California Vehicle Code (CVC). This Division defines a legal vehicle as a vehicle under 8.5 feet in width, 65 feet in length, 14 feet in height and up to 34,000 lbs. in weight on any one axle.
A vehicle traveling on City streets for any distance within the City requires an extralegal permit if one or a combination of the above dimensions/weight is exceeded.
Extralegal vehicles are not allowed to travel on City streets during morning and afternoon peak hours. The fine for not possessing a permit or violating the permit conditions can be $1,000.
In addition to the requirements imposed under state law, permits for extralegal vehicles traveling in or through San Francisco contain the following 11 conditions:
- The permittee shall provide one pilot car for vehicle/load 12 ft. wide or over or 90 ft. long or over and additional pilot car or flagperson if vehicle/load is 12 ft. wide or over and 90 ft. long or over.
- The permittee shall install a slider or skidding board, when deemed necessary by the SFMTA, for any vehicle over 15′ 6″ in height when traveling on certain designated streets.
- Prior to the move, the permittee shall drive the route to locate any turning and/or height obstructions.
- The permittee shall comply with all the applicable requirements and restrictions stipulated in the CALTRANS Transportation Permit.
- Extralegal weight moves are not permitted across the China Basin bridges on 3rd Street and 4th Street.
- The permittee shall contact and make arrangements with the San Francisco Police Department (415-553-1195 or 415-553-1180) for any police-escort-required moves, i.e. “wrongway” moves, etc.
- The permittee shall make the move under this permit, Monday through Friday, between the hours of sunshine and sunset excluding the peak traffic hours (7:00 AM to 9:00 AM) and (4:00 PM to 6:00 PM), unless otherwise permitted.
- Prior to issuance of an extralegal load truck permit, the permittee shall provide a hard copy of an insurance certificate with Comprehensive or Business Automobile Liability Insurance – with limits not less than $500,000 for each occurrence, Combined Single Limit for Bodily Injury and Property Damage, including coverage for Owned, NonOwned and Hired Vehicles – as applicable and including as additional insured the City and County of San Francisco, its officers, agents and employees, providing 30 days prior written notice of cancellation, as required by the San Francisco.
- By accepting the permit, the permittee agrees to compensate the City and County of San Francisco or to public property under its jurisdiction, resulting from operations under the permit, regardless of negligence of the City and County of San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.
- By accepting the permit, the permittee agrees to indemnify, hold harmless and assume the defense of the City and County of San Francisco from and against any all claims, demands, and actions for damages resulting from work under the permit, regardless of negligence of City and County of San Francisco.
- The permittee shall provide 24 hour notice in advance, whenever possible, prior to issuance of the permit request.
For more details see https://www.sfmta.com/permits/extralegal-truck-permit