York Pennsylvania Oversize Permits & Escort Information
WE ARE NOT A PERMIT SERVICE NOR DO WE ARRANGE PERMITS FOR CARRIERS. THIS IS STRICTLY JUST FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES. WE DO NOT ENSURE THE ACCURACY OF THE BELOW INFORMATION SO BE SURE TO READ YOUR PERMIT SHEETS CAREFULLY!
Note: For state regulations, see Pennsylvania OD Regulations
Weight and Dimension Restrictions
Definition of an Oversize/Overweight Vehicle
- Any vehicle in excess of 80,000 pounds gross weight;
- Any vehicle in excess of 13′ 6″ in height;
- Any vehicle in excess of 8′ 6″ in width;
- Any vehicle in excess of 75′ in length.
- Permit requests received after 4 pm will be reviewed the next business day;
- Applications must be submitted 24 hours in advance of intended hauling time;
- Permits that are not received within the 24 hour notification period may be issued by the requested move date and time;
- Applications must be submitted online;
- Applications will no longer be accepted via fax;
- The application can be found at the bottom of this page under oversize vehicle documents;
- Applicants shall provide the City of York proof of liability insurance with a coverage limitation of not less than one million dollars.
- An application for a hauling permit shall be filed with the Department of Public Works at least 24 hours in advance of intended hauling, per Codified Ordinance, section 513.08(a). Each application must include a valid permit issued by PennDot (if applicable). *Applicant shall provide to the City of York proof of liability insurance with a coverage limitation of not less than one million dollars, per Codified Ordinance 513.08, section (c)2.
- York City Escort Requirements: one vehicle required if over 11′ in total width or in excess of 75′ in length. Two vehicles required if over in both width 11′ and length 75′ – Per City of York Codified Ordinance §513.08, section (f)6.
Fees & Costs
- $50.00 Permit Fee/Movement * Plus: Fifty ($.50) for each 1,000 pounds (or fraction thereof) over & above 80,000 pounds gross vehicle weight per movement – Per City of York Codified Ordinance §513.08, section (c)3.
- The permit is valid for 5 calendar days after the date of issuance Per City of York Codified Ordinance §513.08, section (c)4.
For York City Oversize/Overweight Permit Application see https://www.yorkcity.org/city-services/departments/public-works/oversized-vehicles/oversized-vehicles-2/