Tire Chains – It is permissible to use tire chains of reasonable proportions upon any vehicle when required for safety because of snow, ice, or other condition tending to cause a vehicle to slide or skid. (Section 60-6, 250)
Studded Snow Tire Use in NE – Motorists may use studded snow tires in Nebraska from November 1 to April 1. School buses, emergency vehicles, and mail carrier vehicles may use them any time during the year.
(1) Every solid rubber tire on a vehicle moved on any highway shall have rubber on its entire traction surface at least one inch ( 1 ) thick above the edge of the flange of the entire periphery.
(2) No tire on a vehicle moved on a highway shall have on its periphery any clock, stud, flange, cleat, or spike or any other protuberance of any material other than rubber which projects beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire, except that:
- (a) This prohibition shall not apply to pneumatic tires with metal or metal-type studs not exceeding five-sixteenths of an inch in diameter inclusive of the stud-casing with an average protrusion beyond the tread surface of not more than seven sixty-fourths of an inch between November 1 and April 1, except that school buses, mail carrier vehicles, and emergency vehicles shall be permitted to use metal or metal-type studs at any time during the year;
- (b) It shall be permissible to use farm machinery with tires having protuberances which will not injure the highway; and
- (c) It shall be permissible to use tire chains of reasonable proportions upon any vehicle when required for safety because of snow, ice, or other condition tending to cause a vehicle to slide or skid.
(3) No person shall operate or move on any highway any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer (a) having any metal tire in contact with the roadway or (b) equipped with solid rubber tires, except that this subsection shall not apply to farm vehicles having a gross weight of ten thousand pounds or less or to implements of husbandry.
(4) The Department of Transportation and local authorities in their respective jurisdictions may, in their discretion, issue special permits authorizing the operation upon a highway of traction engines or tractors having movable tracks with transverse corrugations upon the periphery of such movable tracks or farm tractors or other farm machinery.
Permissible when required for safety because of snow, ice or other conditions tending to cause a vehicle to skid. If a mountain pass or other roadway is posted vehicles must use chains because of immediate weather conditions, then the vehicle must chain up or stop until the posting is lifted. From October 1 to May 1 pneumatic tires containing metal type studs of tungsten carbide or other suitable material that are inserted or constructed in a manner so that the number of studs or the percentage of metal in contact with the roadway does not exceed three per cent of the total tire area in contact with the roadway under any conditions.