Georgia Oversize/Overweight Regulations
Permits, Routing & Escorts
Georgia Oversize Permits & Escort Information
WE ARE NOT A PERMIT SERVICE NOR DO WE ARRANGE PERMITS FOR CARRIERS. THIS IS STRICTLY JUST FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES. WE DO NOT ENSURE THE ACCURACY OF THE BELOW INFORMATION SO BE SURE TO READ YOUR PERMIT SHEETS CAREFULLY!
Georgia Department of Transportation
Phone Number: (844) 837-5500
PERMITS: Georgia oversize permits are valid for ten days.
OPERATING TIME: One half hour after sunrise to one-half hour before sunset 7 days a week. Loads not exceeding 125,000 lbs. with legal dimensions may have continuous travel (must be requested when permit is ordered).
RESTRICTED TRAVEL: No movement allowed Sundays. In Atlanta, in the area bounded by and including I-285, no permit movement allowed between 7:00 am – 9:00 am and 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm Monday through Friday. No travel on major holidays.
- 75′ (including overhang) is legal with 48′ to 53′ trailer, 60′ overall on some non-designated routes.
- 60′ overall on some non-designated routes.
Width: 8′-6″ (8′ on some non-designated)
Weight: 80,000 Gross
- Single – 20,340
- Tandem – 34,000
- Tridem – depends on spacings, not more than 20,340 on any axle.
ROUTINE PERMIT LIMITS
Length: no set maximum.
- Gross Weights
- 5 axles – 100,000
- 6 axles – 125,000
- 7 axles – 148,000
- 8 axles – 150,000
- Axle Weights
- Single – 23,000
- Tandem – 46,000
- Tridem – 60,000
- Quad – 92,000
Loads exceeding these dimensions or weights have to be applied for as Super Loads.
- Over 75′ – one escort or 8″ flashing amber light* at each corner of rear of load
- Over 100′ – one escort
- Over 125′ – two escorts
- Over 12′ up to & including 14′-8″ –one rear escort or amber light* on Interstate or limited access highway
- two escorts (or one escort and rear amber light*) on two-lanes
- Over 14′-8″ up to and including 16′ – two escorts on two-lane road, one escort on Limited Access/Interstate.
- Over 16′ – determined on case-by-case basis.
Height: Over 15′-6″ – one escort with height pole.
*Must have GA light decal to use flashing amber light.
MISCELLANEOUS: Up to (not over) 75′ length legal for poles, structural steel, pipes, etc. Blades over 12′ must be angled. Blades up to 14′ wide, if it belongs to the equipment, can be on the same vehicle hauled.
SIGNS, FLAGS & LIGHTS: “Oversize Load” signs are required on all permit loads. Flags are required on all four corners and extremities of over sized loads.
You must have a current Georgia Light Sticker (decal) if you wish to run flashing amber beacon light(s) in Georgia. (See Escorts section, above).