Maximum Legal Weight Allowed
Your truck requires a permit if it exceeds:
- Motor vehicle (2 axles) – 46,000 lbs.
- Vehicle or vehicle combination (3 axles) – 73,000 lbs.
- Vehicle or vehicle combinations (4 axles) – 87,000 lbs.
- Vehicle or vehicle combinations (5+ axles) – 99,000 lbs.
Your truck will also require a permit if the weight on any axle exceeds:
- Axles spaced less than 6 ft. apart – 18,000 lbs.
- Axles spaced more than 6 ft. apart – 22,400 lbs.
- Overall gross weight of 2 or more consecutive axles – 80,000 lbs.
Maximum Permit Weight Allowed
Special Hauling Permit
You may need a special hauling permit depending on the size of your truck and its load. If your vehicle falls under these restrictions, then your permit will not require a fee:
- 12′ 0″ Wide Load Banner & Flags
- 13′ 6″ Height
- 99,000 lbs. max
- 100′ Long (up to 80′ long no escort is needed)
If your vehicle exceeds the above restrictions, it may also require a police escort. If your vehicle exceeds any of these restrictions, you will have to pay a fee.
Requirements for vehicles over 80′ long:
- one private escort is required for vehicles from 80’1″ to 85′
- two private escorts are required for vehicles from 85’1″ to 100′
Requirements for vehicles traveling in the tunnels:
- wide loads from 8’6″ to 12′ must have private escort(s)
Fees for Requesting a Special Hauling Permit
- Special Hauling Permit (Within Restrictions) – $0 each unit
- Special Hauling Permit (Exceeds Restrictions) – $350 each unit
Source of information: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/commercial-truck-regulations