Permits, Routing & Escorts
Fontana California Oversize Permits & Escort Information
WE ARE NOT A PERMIT SERVICE NOR DO WE ARRANGE PERMITS FOR CARRIERS. THIS IS STRICTLY JUST FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES. WE DO NOT ENSURE THE ACCURACY OF THE BELOW INFORMATION SO BE SURE TO READ YOUR PERMIT SHEETS CAREFULLY!
Note: For state regulations, see California OD Regulations
Oversize Load Permit
The City requires a minimum of two working days to process and issue oversize load permits. Variance permit applications may require up to two weeks for review and approval.
City of Fontana assumes no duty and makes no representation regarding the route selected or as to the safety on any proposed route. It is the duty of all permit applicants to insure the proposed route will be of adequate height, width, and safe for the needs of the oversize load. This includes contacting utilities to resolve potential conflicts with any surface-mounted or overhead facilities.
Applicant shall save, keep, and hold harmless to the City of Fontana, its officers or agents from all damages, costs or expenses in law or equity that may at any time arise or be set up because of or in the course of performing work authorized by this permit which may be occasioned by any act or omission of the permittee.
All permits issued shall be of original nature with no items being crossed out or changed. Permit is only valid for designated truck routes with exception to site, and/or delivery within city limits. These routes are subject to review by the City Engineer, Permitted routes are subject to change at any time.
The City Engineer or his representative may at the time of issuance of said permit, reduce the gross weight limitations stated herein, provided the specific designated City truck routes to be used in moving said oversize loads would, in the City Engineer’s opinion, be materially damaged. In addition, it is the responsibility of the permittee to maintain valid insurance throughout the duration of the permit. The minimum amount of liability insurance required is one million dollars. Also, the City shall be listed as additional insured under the policy. Failure to maintain current insurance shall cause the permit to be null and void.
Oversize Load Pilot Car Requirements
One Pilot Car Required
- Any vehicle with a single kingpin combination between 75′ to 100′;
- Any vehicle combination of truck, tractor, jeep, and semitrailers coupled together (multikingpin) exceeding 110′;
- Any vehicle combination of truck, tractor, jeep, and semitrailers coupled together (multikingpin), with articulating rear steering on the rear semitrailer exceeding 125′.
- Loads greater than 12′ to a maximum of 15′ wide.
- Front Pilot Car with vertical measuring device on loads exceeding 17′.
- Rear: When the rear load projection exceeds 25′ when measured from the rear extremity of the hauling equipment;
- Front: When the front overhang exceeds 25′.
Two Pilot Cars Required
- Any vehicle with a single kingpin combination exceeding 100′;
- Any vehicle combination of truck, tractor, jeep, and semitrailers coupled together (multikingpin), with articulating rear steering on the rear semitrailer exceeding 135′.
- Load exceeding 15′;
A combination of the following: 1C (Height) and 1A (length) or 1C (Height) and 1B (Width).
For City of Fontana Transportation Permit Application Form see https://www.fontana.org/3074/Permits
Below is a list of the cities and where to find their updated permits
The following pages provide links to the city's general guidelines for oversize permits and escorts for over dimensional/heavy haul shipping. City regulations are subject to change. If you find something incorrect let us know and we will verify and update the page accordingly.
Click on the cities below for links to the city's guidelines for permitting oversize loads and escorts for over dimensional / heavy haul shipping. These regulations are subject to change for each state. If something doesn't look correct, give us a shout and let us know so we can property update the page.