Los Angeles California Oversize Permits & Escort Information
WE ARE NOT A PERMIT SERVICE NOR DO WE ARRANGE PERMITS FOR CARRIERS. THIS IS STRICTLY JUST FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES. WE DO NOT ENSURE THE ACCURACY OF THE BELOW INFORMATION SO BE SURE TO READ YOUR PERMIT SHEETS CAREFULLY!
Note: For state regulations, see California OD Regulations
Weight and Dimension Restrictions
Commercial vehicle may need a permit to operate in the City of Los Angeles if its dimensions and weight exceed the following limits:
For Combination of Vehicles and Load – in excess of 65′;
For a Single Vehicle – in excess of 40′.
In excess of 8’6″ in width.
In excess of 14′ in height.
For Combination of Vehicles – in excess of 40 tons in weight;
For a Single Vehicle – No Permits.
There are the following additional requirements:
- Overheight – 18′ high or higher in height requires 5 days for notification to and approval by Public Utility Companies, and Street Tree Division.
- Overweight – 75 tons or over in weight must be submitted to and approved by Bureau of Engineering/Bridge Structural.
- No Overweight Loads are permitted on a single vehicle (i.e. 2 or 3 axle trucks), only permitted on Trailers.
- No 5 or 6 axle combinations of vehicles are permitted to carry 74.5 tons. The maximum varies with the axle spacing, width and number of tires, but seldom exceeds 60 tons.
When Unlawful to Move Without Inspection. It shall be unlawful for any person to move upon any public street or place, any overload:
- When the load or transporting vehicle exceeds in width one-half the narrowest roadway over which such overload is moved;
- When the load or transporting vehicle exceeds 18 feet in width, or 18 feet in height;
- when the load or vehicle exceeds 110 feet overall in length, or 125 feet with steerable rear axles.
For Los Angeles Municipal Code (Permit Applications, Night moving, Issuance of permits etc.) see https://bsspermits.lacity.org/overloads/
For Conditions to Move under Annual Permit see https://bsspermits.lacity.org/overloads/