Virginia Beach VA Oversize Permits & Escort Information
WE ARE NOT A PERMIT SERVICE NOR DO WE ARRANGE PERMITS FOR CARRIERS. THIS IS STRICTLY JUST FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES. WE DO NOT ENSURE THE ACCURACY OF THE BELOW INFORMATION SO BE SURE TO READ YOUR PERMIT SHEETS CAREFULLY!
Note: For state regulations, see Virginia OD Regulations
Weight and Dimension Restrictions
If the dimensions of the vehicle combination or non-divisible load, or both, exceed one of the following statutory limitations listed below, a hauling permit is required.
- Single Axle – 20,000 pounds or 650 pounds per inch of tire width in contact with the surface of the highway;
- Tandem Axle – 34,000 pounds (more than 40″ but not more than 96″ between axle centers);
- Gross Weight – Legal weight allowed based on axle spacing;
- Width – 8’6″ excluding mirrors. Safety devices not to exceed 3 inches on each side;
- Height – 13’6″
- Length – Truck: 40′ excluding load; Semitrailer: 48′; Twin Trailers: 28’6″; Tractor Semitrailer Combination: 65′ including load; Combination of a towing vehicle and any manufacturing housing: 60′ including load and coupling.
- Front Overhang: Exceeding 3′.
Maximum Weight Allowed by Permit Based on Axle Spacings
Maximum weight in pounds according to vehicle axle spacing allowed by permit without requiring an engineering review from the City of Virginia Beach Public Works Operations for any group of two or more consecutive axles.
Maximum Axle Weights
- Single Axle Weight – 24,000 pounds (or 850 pounds per inch, width of the measured in contact with the surface of the road);
- Tandem Axle Weight – refer to axle spacing chart;
- Tri-Axle and Quad-Axle Groups – refer to axle spacing chart;
- Mobile Cranes (Short Wheel Base Vehicles) can be matched to the State Permit up to 100,000 pounds, on a case by case basis.
Note: Vehicles exceeding the axle weight and gross weight limits of this section shall be considered on a case by case basis by the permitting authority. A permit will not be issued if the load can be reasonably reduced to legal limitations of size and weight as described in Section 5. Hauling more than one item at a time, gross weight and axle weights shall be in accordance with Section 5. Load items shall not be loaded side by side to create an overwidth condition; end to end to create an overlength condition; or stacked to create an overheight condition. Field verification by the permitting authority may be required to determine whether an item can be reasonably reduced. All vehicle configurations shall be reduced to the smallest dimensions possible and those exceeding the specifications identified in this chart will require an engineering review before a permit can be issued.
For City of Virginia Beach Hauling Permit Application Form see https://www.vbgov.com/governments/departments/planning/permits-inspections/Documents/from-pdf/Moving%20and%20Hauling%20 Application.pdf
Statutory Weight and Size Limits for the City of Virginia Beach https://www.vbgov.com/government/department/planning/permits-inspections/Documents/from-pdf/Pages%209-13%20from%20MovingandHaulingManual.pdf