Washington DC Oversize Permits & Escort Information
WE ARE NOT A PERMIT SERVICE NOR DO WE ARRANGE PERMITS FOR CARRIERS. THIS IS STRICTLY JUST FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES. WE DO NOT ENSURE THE ACCURACY OF THE BELOW INFORMATION SO BE SURE TO READ YOUR PERMIT SHEETS CAREFULLY!
Weight and Dimensions Restrictions
A Washington District of Columbia Oversize/Overweight Permit is required when traveling on any city street, state route, or interstate highway within the District and the vehicle and/or loads is:
- Any vehicle exceeding the District axle and gross weight limitations (21,000 pounds for single axle, 34,000 pounds for tandem axle, see Chapter 25 of Title 18, DCMR);
- Any vehicle wider than 8 feet – 6 inches (including load);
- Any vehicle, other than a bus, over 40 feet long;
- A vehicle with a combined overall length of over 55 feet;
- A bus longer than 60 feet or wider than 8 feet – 6 inches;
- A vehicle higher than 13 feet – 6 inches (including load.
For other details and costs see https://ddot.dc.gov/node/482382